The Q&A Archives: Vegatables for Fall Garden in Oklahoma

Question: Could you please recommend any vegetables to start in late July here in OK! I have cucumbers that are producing now and tomatoes to come (blossoms no fruit)! My cucumbers took over my peppers, although the pepper plants are still green, there are no flowers! Any recommendation would be appreciated!

Answer: You can plant many different crops for fall harvest, but since your area of the country is gripped in a serious heat wave, I'd wait til there's a break. You can start some crops from seed in a protected location for transplant after the weather cools a bit. The extremem heat is probably the cause of the lack of fruit on tomatoes and peppers, a condition called "heat check". The pollen dies when night temps stay above 70F and during the day soar above 85F. Keep them well watered and fed, and they should start producing when it cools off (I keep alluding to this "cool weather" - hope it comes soon!).

Your first frost falls sometime around November 15. Most vegetable crops will mature before that date. Check the "days to maturity" listed on seed packs and in catalogs, and count back from the frost date to determine when to plant. You can plant earlier to harvest well before frost and/or to spread out the harvest. Add a week or two to the "days to maturity", since the temperatures will be cooler (hopefully) and daylight shorter. Enjoy!