The Q&A Archives: eggplant

Question: I planted an eggplant in a large pot in the spring. Our soil here is clay and the pot was easier for me since I could buy quality soil. I have no idea how long I should wait to cut the eggplants. They are smaller than the grocery store and after a few weeks I cut one just to see and it was very bitter. What did I do wrong? I planted eggplant in Florida with ease but Alabama?

Answer: Size is not always a good indication of maturity in veggies. Eggplant can be harvested as soon as the skin takes on a glossly look (usually 8-9 weeks after sowing). To test, press the skin. If the indentation doesn't spring back, the fruit is ready for harvest. When the seeds inside turn brown, it's past the good-eating stage. To harvest, cut the stem with a knife. Eggplants will keep for about two weeks in the refrigerator.