The Q&A Archives: Zucchini Dropping Blossoms

Question: My zucchini plants keep getting blooms but they fall off before the zucchini has a chance to grow. What could be causing this? I fertilize and water regularly.

Answer: Zucchini vines develop both male and female flowers; the male blossoms dry up and fall off after a few days, but the female flowers will develop fruit if they have been pollinated. You can help things along by removing a male flower and 'visiting' female flowers, dusting the pollen from the inside of the male to the inside of the female. Male flowers have a straight stem from the blossom to the vine and female flowers have a characteristic swelling just behind the blossom. A great way to attract pollinating insects to your garden is to have lots of different kinds of flowers blooming all the time.