The Q&A Archives: rodent (rabbits & ground squirrels) resistent ground covers

Question: I planted sedum ground covers and the ground squirrels & rabbits ate them immediately. What ground covers are rodent resistent? I live in Reno, NV (Zone 5) and have an irrigated area for planting.

Answer: Sorry about your sedum but here's an interesting fact - squirrels and especially rabbits will graze on plants that supply their moisture and nutrient needs. The fleshy leaves of your succulents contain a generous amount of water and of salt. I'm sure they thought they were in bunny paradise! Some plants that are typically ignored include Lupine, Daylily, Catmint, Kinnikinnik, Ajuga, Ceanothus gloriosus
Cotoneaster, Heather, Wild strawberry, and Crocosmia. Lantana and Aptena (red apple ground cover) are often used as ground covers in your gardening region so those are additional considerations. Good luck with your new ground cover!