The Q&A Archives: Orchids

Question: Well I have a beautiful orchid and its bloom just ended...Now I dont really know how to care for my orchid now that it needs a different kind of care from when it was in bloom.

Answer: Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Supplement with artificial light in the winter time if necessary. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Now that yours has finished blooming you can cut the stem off just below where the old flower was. It should develop another flower. When that one is spent, cut the entire flowering stem down to foliage level. Enjoy your new orchid!