The Q&A Archives: Lovage plant

Question: Do you sell lovage plants or seeds in the Los Angeles CA area? How do I take care of lovage in my garden so that I can use it in my kitchen year round?

Answer: If you cannot find plants, Lovage seeds should be readily available in the seed racks. Lovage prefers moist, fertile, well-drained soil, and is one the rare herbs that grow equally well in the sun and shade. Seeds should be sown in the late summer or early fall in a location where you want the plants to grow permanently and should be thinned so that only 2 or 3 hardy seedlings remain. Water Lovage regularly so that it doesn't dry out and give it a boost in the spring with some fertilizer. Plants do not divide well, but can be propagated easily from cuttings. Plants die back naturally in the fall and go into a period of dormancy, but will resprout in late winter or in early spring.