The Q&A Archives: Peace Lily

Question: I have a Peace Lily that bloomed in 2007 when I got it. It has not bloomed since. What do I need to do to get it to bloom, otherwise it is very healthy and produces many new leaves.

Answer: The most common reason a peace lily doesn't bloom is a combination of too little light and too little humidity. Sometimes very mature plants don't bloom well. Try increasing light, humidity, fertilizer and dividing if it is severely root bound.

They are low light tolerant plants but if they don't get quite enough light, they may fail to bloom. If you can comfortably sit and read in the spot, the plant will do fine. Winter sun is OK, but avoid direct afternoon sun in summertime.

Keep the soil evenly moist all year round. Do not allow water to stand in the saucer for more than an hour or two. They are well suited to average indoor temperatures. If they are kept where it is warmer, be sure to keep the soil moist and raise the humidity around the plant. They need high humidity and should be misted daily or kept near a humidifier or on a humidity tray. During the spring and summer, when the plant is most actively growing, feed them every two weeks with a liquid or water soluble fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. They like to be a bit crowded in the pot and require excellent drainage but they should be repotted in fresh potting soil every 2-3 years. Hope this information is helpful.