The Q&A Archives: what to plant in august

Question: Hello,
What can I plant in a raised bed in August? I am in Richmond VA

Answer: If you're growing vegetables, almost all leafy cole-family crops do fine if planted in August and are harvestable by late October and -if you throw some row cover over them during freezes- many types usually continue growing through December. Kale is noted for having a much improved flavor after a few freezes. Count the days for broccoli and cabbages, the quickest ones should be fine. I find spinach is chancy; it just doesn't like to grow in the heat, so I'd recommend very small plantings every week through October: some won't make it, but some will. The main planting should occur about mid- to late-September. Green (English or garden) peas usually do well, provided the soil has enough moisture for sprouting. Try pre-soaking the seed for a couple of hours before planting. If you can find seed for 45- to 60-day bush beans, there should be just enough warm growing time to get a few pickings. Enjoy your harvest!