The Q&A Archives: Green pepper plants

Question: Leaves are wilty with brown 'rusty' patches on the top and afids underneath. I sprayed soap solution for the afids but the plants are continueing to weaken and die. What else can I do?

Answer: The brown patches can be the result of insect feeding on the undersides of the leaves, or they could be a result of the insecticidal soap residue which can actually burn the leaves of your plants when the hot sunshine bears down on the leaves. I would try using plain water to hose the aphids off the leaves. If not too many are affected with the brown patches you can simply pinch them off the plant. The brown patches might also indicate a bacterial disease. If it is not too advanced, a copper based fungicide should help. Best wishes with your peppers!