The Q&A Archives: Yellowing of foliage on gaura lindheimeri and dead jacob's ladder plant

Question: about 1 month ago planted these two plants in front of of the gaura's is showing signs of yellowing foliage; the other is doing fine. one of jacob's ladder on side of porch died and the other looks like it is starting the same process as the other. water daily and fed once with miracle grow. used an organic product called organica which reduces transplant shock at time of planting.

Answer: It's sad when newly planted perennials struggle to become established. Planting in the heat of summer can be very stressful for them. Yellowing foliage can indicate excessive watering (daily is too much) but it can also be a reflection on the type of soil they are planted into. I always incorporate some compost into the planting bed prior to planting just to make sure the soil drains well yet holds just the right amount of moisture. Deep watering once or twice a week is necessary for good root establishment. I think daily watering can stress your plants. When you keep the soil too moist it drives out the air and plant roots need oxygen as well as moisture. Try watering deeply and then allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Once every 3-4 days should be fine in the summer months. There's not much you can do for your plants at this point other than to water regularly and perhaps try to shield them from hot summer sunshine until they become established. Place a temporary sun shield to block the hot afternoon sun and I think that will help. Hope your plants perk up soon!