The Q&A Archives: spider mites

Question: how can I prevent spider mites on my tomatoe plants

Answer: Spider mites are difficult to detect so make sure that's the critter you're dealing with before treating your tomato plants. Spider mites are tiny spider like, plant pests that feed on the undersides of leaves of many garden vegetables and flowers. Most mites are about 1/32 inch long and live and feed in a web they produce on the leaves. They reproduce rapidly and can damage plants in a short time. Inspect plants frequently by examining the underside of leaves with a magnifying glass. When large populations of mites are present, leaves appear "stippled" or dotted with yellow, and webbing is usually present on the underside of leaves. Spray plants with Bonide's Tomato & Vegetable 3-in-1 Insecticide, Fungicide and Miticide. Repeat sprays may be necessary. Be sure to follow label directions.