The Q&A Archives: supporting young tree trunk

Question: Planted young Japanese Cut-leaf Maple (Virdis)in fiberglass whiskey barrel in June. Concerned about hurricane/winter season breaking it. How should I prop up its baby trunk while allowing it to grow? P.S. Too heavy to take indoors.

Answer: I would push 3 sturdy stakes into the soil six to ten inches from the trunk and, using soft material, tie the trunk to each stake individually. Just loop the tie around the trunk and secure it to the stake. This way the trunk won't move regardless of the direction of the wind. You should be able to remove the stakes in 2-3 years when the trunk is rigid and able to hold itself upright. Since maples lose their leaves you won't have to worry about a heavy canopy during the winter storms (which can act like a sail and pull trees over!) Best wishes with your maple.