The Q&A Archives: can i save my ficus tree?

Question: hi my name is sil i've bought a ficus tree 2 months ago the leaves start to fall but used to have a lot new ones, a week ago they start to get dry and brown and drop all of them now it doesn't have any what should i do take it outside maybe, cause i got it in a place full of light but may be a little cold due to the ac please tell what is best maybe take it out and get it in in fall? thanks a lot

Answer: I think your ficus tree is showing its unhappiness about being in a cold draft from your air conditioner. In general, they like bright or sunny spots, freedom from drafts (either hot or cold) and ample water. The leaf drop can also be normal - they do shed their leaves periodically but then they regrow new leaves. I'd prune it back a little to encourage new growth, then set it in a bright place, out of drafts. It should recover once it is receiving the care it requires. Good luck with your ficus!