The Q&A Archives: Watering citrus

Question: For how many minutes, do you recomend me to watering a dawrf citrus.

Answer: How long you leave your water system on really depends upon how much water the system supplies (how large the emitters are) so I can't really give you an absolute answer. Saturated or soggy soils will drive out oxygen and your tree's roots will need air as well as moisture for good growth. The rule of thumb is to water deeply once each week. Each tree will need about one-inch of water per week (unless it rains - then you may not need to water). The best way to water trees and shrubs is to make a watering well or water basin beneath each by scraping out a little soil and mounding it up in a circle around the main stem, about 12" away from the stem or trunk. You'll need a 2-3" mound of soil to make the basin. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain and then fill it a second time. Once a week is all it takes. Watering in this way will concentrate the water over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Over time the mounded soil will erode and the basin will be gone, but by then your tree's roots should be well established. Best wishes with your citrus tree!