The Q&A Archives: Planning a Butterfly Garden

Question: I am planning my first butterfly garden, so I need help getting started. I would like to use plants that are relatively simple to work with. I live in Marietta, OH, and I am going to plant it in a space that is 21'10" x 9'6". The area gets full sun during the summer from at least 11:00 am through sunset. There is a mature azalea bush at each end. I would like to know a good variety of plants/flowers to bloom from spring into fall. I plan to plant with the taller flowers growing in the center. James C Butler Marietta, OH

Answer: Try the following: Perennials-Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed), Sedum spectabile, and Sedum 'Autumn Joy', Ornamental onions (Allium), Centaurea macrocephala (yellow knapweed), Echinops (globe thistle), Eupatorium coelestinum (mist flower), and Echinacea purpurea (purple coneflower). You might also try a beautiful shrub called Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii) on page 110 of the Burpee catalog. Annuals-Globe amaranth, Pincushion flower (Scabiosa atropurpurea), Tithonia (Mexican sunflower), Cosmos, Mammoth Russians sunflowers. Shepherd's Garden Seeds 30 Irene St. Torrington, CT 06790 sells most of these! Have fun!