The Q&A Archives: Killing Weeds

Question: First time homeowner here. We moved into our house in June. The lawn was not treated- several patches look like there is a rock underneath.

A few questions:

1. Killing crabgrass weeds, dandelions reeds, clover weeds in the grass.

What should I use?
When should I apply it?

I watered grass with

Answer: Timing is everything when dealing with weeds. Summer (July and August) are not the best times to apply weed control products because of the heat. You can actually do damage to your turf if you apply these products during the heat of the summer. Spring and fall are better times to control those weeds. Crabgrass is an annual plant and it will die out at the end of the summer, but it will leave hundreds of seeds in its wake. If you apply a pre-emergent in the early spring you can keep the seeds from sprouting which will keep your lawn free of crabgrass next year. Dandelions are broadleaf weeds and any broadleaf weed killer will control them. Clover and reeds are a different story. Broadleaf weed killers won't touch them at all but there are specialize clover and chickweed killers that you can use. The reeds will probably have to be dug out by hand. Wait until the weather cools this fall and use a broad spectrum broad leaf weed killer. Early next spring use a pre emergent to keep weed seeds from sprouting. Be sure to keep your turf watered and mowed on a regular basis - a thick turf will crowd out most weeds. Best wishes with your lawn!