The Q&A Archives: Bees on Edible Plants

Question: Can you please recommend a spray or solution to get rid of bumble bees? They are taking over my vegetable plants! Thank you ~~~ Sue Teigue :-)

Answer: Bumblebees are important pollinators and most gardeners go out of their way to attract these beneficials. I can't recommend anything to kill them off but I can suggest that you deter them with water from the hose and just work around them when you can. Bumblebees are usually not agressive and you can work in the garden without worrying about them attacking you. They are not as active in the early morning or early evening so you might time your garden activities when they are not there. Or, turn the sprinkler on your garden and they will leave - for a while, at least. Because of the bee activity I'm willing to bet you will have a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!