The Q&A Archives: Lantanas

Question: I have asked you this before, but I see lantanas blooming wherever I drive. My purple one is blooming, but my yellow and red/orange are just green bushes. You said to wait until the fall/spring, but these have never bloomed once they lost their original flowers. Is there a fertilizer or something I can do to help them bloom?

Answer: Lantana can be exasperating! They develop flowers on new growth so pruning them back will encourage new, and hopefully flowering, growth. They bloom on about a 3-4 week cycle so pruning after the flowers are spent will encourage new growth and new flowers. Lantanas seem to thrive in the heat and will often flower during the hottest months of the year, but they also tend to slow their growth when it's hot. So, the bottom line is if you can get them to grow in the heat by pruning them back every 4-5 weeks, you should have flowers - even in July and August.