The Q&A Archives: Loosing Soil

Question: I've built a DIY flower bed with landscaping blocks & seem to be losing dirt. I know that there must be a gap in the blocks of the bed, but what I would like to know is who can I stop loosing dirt without tearing up the bed & starting over? Is there a way to fix the gap without tearing up the bed & starting over?

Answer: Are you sure there is a gap where soil is leaking out? If so you should be able to fill the gap with concrete caulking. I wonder if you are not actually losing soil but the soil is settling? If this is the case, simply adding a little soil to the top of the bed will help bring the level up and if you add it in small increments, the plants should adjust and you won't need to dig and replant them. Best wishes with your raised bed!