The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer

Question: Hello - I have several beautiful hibiscus purchased from Home Depot, that I have in clay pots on my balcony overlooking the marsh. Since I have 3 cats, I would like to know of a safe fertilizer that can be applied. Thank you,

Answer: Since your hibiscus are in pots, the safest way to feed (for the plants and your pets) is with a half strength dilution of liquid fertilizer. I use Miracle Gro or Peter's mixed at half the recommended rate but applied twice as often - usually every 3-4 weeks. This way I supply a consistent amount of nutrients without fear of burning the roots because of too much fertilizer. And, since it is a liquid, there will be no undissolved granules or pellets left on the soil surface. Best wishes with your plants.