The Q&A Archives: Muskrats

Question: I live near a muskrat infested lake. They eat everything I plant, grasses, shrubs, flowers. What can I do?

Answer: The most common type of damage muskrats commit is in the garden. Being largely vegetarian, they will find the best plants and eat them during the night. There are two things you can do to stop browsing damage. The first is to treat plants you want to protect with a liquid repellent called ROPEL. This material is odorless but tastes
bitter. Sprayed plants will be ignored by muskrat; they will be forced to find food elsewhere. Treatments will last up to 6 weeks depending on weather. Once they learn your garden has food which tastes "bad", they will move on to greener pastures and learn to feed elsewhere. The alternative is to trap the critters and relocate them. That doesn't sound too feasible considering you live near a lake, so I'd try the Ropel to see if that works in your garden. Hope it does!