The Q&A Archives: colorful fall flowers

Question: It is late August. What can I plant now for a colorful pop around my yard?

Answer: There are a number of plants that will provide nice fall color. Mums, of course, are the classic fall plant, and ornamental cabbages are popular too. Both of these are commonly available as transplants or potted plants in late summer. Many annual and perennial varieties of asters flower in the fall. Pansies love the cooler weather of fall, and will often overwinter to provide early spring color too! Snapdragons and calendula may produce a second flush of bloom in the cooler fall weather. Though they won't withstand a hard freeze, they will endure a light frost. Ornamental chard and kale are durable fall-weather plants, and they come in some interesting colors. They might make a nice foliage backdrop to your brighter flowers. Enjoy your colorful fall garden!