The Q&A Archives: Little fruit on tomatoes

Question: We planted tomatoes in a small 6'x10' garden in May. The plants are huge (well over 6' tall) but have born very little fruit. We built up the normal clay soil with top soil and manure and put root growth stimulator on the plants when first planted. Do we likely have a soil problem? By the way we live in Cincinnati, OH.

Answer: I don't think there is a soil problem but it might be that your plants are getting too much nitrogen, which promotes lush, green growth but sometimes at the expense of flowering and fruit production. Heat has a lot to do with flowering and fruiting so if you've had a cool summer, that might explain why you're not gettng flowers and fruit. Wish I had a solution for you but at this point in the season you can only hope that your plants will flower and set fruit before cold weather arrives. Next year try planting early-season types (sometimes called short-season varieties_. They typically grow and flower in cooler weather and will set fruit in as little as 45 days. Best wishes with your tomato plants!