The Q&A Archives: what all do elm leaf beetles,wood borers.ants damage?

Question: nieghbor has elm trees that are infested with these insects per the arborist, it seems everywhere the leaves fall my flowers seem to be dying and don't know why.There is a spot in my yard that was sinking and we put in 80lbs of dirt& seed everything was fine 3 months later the same thing is happening about 2-3ft over we know that the tree roots are there can they be rotting & ground sinking help

Answer: Elm leaf beetles like elm leaves and don't usually bother other plants or trees. Likewise with the borers. Most are host specific so unless you have elm trees in your yard, they probably are not a concern. If the tree was sprayed with insecticides, there could be residual chemicals on the leaves which might harm your plants if the leaves fall on them. I'm afraid the only way to stop that is to rake the leaves rather than allow them to pile up near your plants. Sinking soil does sound serious, though. There may be a broken water pipe underground which is washing the soil away. Rotting roots will make the soil sink and settle but roots rot very slowly, not quickly and in 3 months you probably would not notice the amount of settling due to root rot. I'd have a professional check the area. They have the equipment necessary to locate water pipes. Best wishes with your landscape!