The Q&A Archives: Weeds

Question: We have an abundance of weeds that sought of resemble a mimosa, they have round spots on back of the leavs, that look like seeds. How can we get rid of them, they seem to spread rapidly. I have sprayed weed killer, but they seem to thrive on it

Answer: Your description of the weed makes me think it is Chamberbitter (Phyllanthus urinaria), which is a tropical weed that has become a major pest of lawns, landscapes and plant nurseries. Glyphosate (Roundup) will kill it but you have to be careful to keep the chemical off nearby foliage. In a lawn, broadleaf weedkiller (Weed-B-Gon, Weed Stop, etc.) applied twice, seven days apart, is also effective.

The best way to control the weed is to prevent it. Apply isoxaben (Green Light Portrait) pre-emergent herbicide in late April and again in mid-June to areas where you will not be planting seeds for anything else. As with every herbicide, read the label and follow it exactly.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"