The Q&A Archives: Are My Yellow Flowers Really Moon Flowers?

Question: I have read all your Q&A regarding moonflowers but all of them refer to the flowers as a vine. When we moved to our present home, we were told the flowers in question were moonflowers, but they most certainly are not a vine so I don't know what they really are. Someone also said they may be evening primroses.

The flowers are yellow, large and flat. You can watch them open in the early evening - it is just like slow motion! They have no fragrance. Each flower blooms one night only. The foliage is green - in fact, if you don't watch what you are doing when you are weeding, you could easily mistake them for a young dandelion!!

What are these, please!

Answer: What fun! It sounds like they are indeed some type of evening primrose (Oenothera). Enjoy your plants!