The Q&A Archives: mold

Question: I planted vegetable and herb seeds in one of those indoor seed starter thingy (I forget the name) and there is mold growning on some of my soil where I planted the seeds. I have the seeds inside until they start growing and then I will transplant them outside. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong to get the mold. I am a new gardener and don't know a lot.

Answer: The top of your seed starting tray should be taken off for a few minutes each day to allow excess moisture/humidity to escape. If things stay too humid inside, your seedlings can develop a fungal disease called damping off. As soon as you lift the top to allow fresh air to enter, the mold should begin to die. As a rule, the top only needs to be in place until the seeds sprout. Once they sprout, remove the top completely. I hope it's not too late for your seedlings!