The Q&A Archives: pomegranate

Question: Your answer to my lemon question was great. I put it and other plants I didn't want to burn under an umberella. That's working out realy good. Now I have 2 pomegranate trees. They look pretty good. They were growing this longer shoots away from the original stalk. I trimmed them off. I hope this was the correct thing to do. Can you give me any other suggestions in how to care for them. Trudy

Answer: Glad you are finding this forum helpful! You did the right thing by cutting off the suckering growth on your pomegranate trees. The suckers are non-productive and they use up the energy that could be going to fruit production or leaf replacement. Lots of sunshine and adequate water are all your pomegrante trees need to remain healthy and develop fruit for you. Enjoy!