The Q&A Archives: Hanging Plants

Question: I am looking for a hanging plant to hang under a (second floor) deck that will be easy to care for since it will high
and that will also add color and cascade. I have two hanging geraniums, but they do not cascade or fill out beautifully. The are does get sun for part of the day. I also tried hanging petunias but they did not hold up and were drooping by the end of the day. Thank you.

Answer: It might be difficult to find a plant that will grow acceptably from a hanging planter and not need daily watering. You might consider some of the sedums (stonecrop) that have a trailing habit. They should thrive in a sunny, arid spot without needing daily care. Sedum sieboldii would be a good candidate, as would sedum morganianum (Donkey Tail).