The Q&A Archives: information about yellow hedge

Question: I am looking for information on a hedge or shrub but don't know what it is called. It looks like a typical green hedge but it is yellow.
It is planted in part sun, part shade in a corner between steps and porch. I have daisies in front and to the left, next to daisies and in front of this hedge is a hydrangea and next to that a azalea bush. I keep the hedge trimed just slightly so it doesn't get out of proportion the problems is it stays about knee high if that and I want it to grow taller but it never seems to get taller.It is a well established hedge as it has been in the same spot about eight years. It looks healthy but seems strange that it doesn't seem to get any height. What is the name of this hedge also? Are the plants around it not compatible? Thank you.

Answer: I am only offering an educated guess when trying to identify your hedge. It might be Golden Privet (Ligustrum x vicaryi). If so, this is a vase-shaped shrub that commonly grows 4 to 6 feet tall. Golden privet has bright yellow foliage when grown in full sun. Plants grown in the shade have yellow-green leaves. Golden privet is hardy in USDA hardiness zone 4.

If this is your plant, it may have reached its mature size. Pruning it back slightly each year as you have been doing will keep it full and encourage healthy new growth. You can't make it grow higher than its predetermined mature height, no matter how much you prune. Plants growing beneath your hedge should not hinder its growth. Enjoy your garden!