The Q&A Archives: Raspberry Patch

Question: How far away from my vegetable garden should I plant my raspberry patch so that the raspberries do not spread into my vegetables?

Answer: Raspberry plants are considered brambles and, if uncontrolled, can wander quite a distance. If you make a special bed for your raspberries, you can keep them in their places by annual pruning. Depending upon whether you get one crop or two each year, prune them diligently and train the new canes so they stay within bounds. If your plants are fall-bearing, cut the canes down to the ground after harvest. If they produce fruit in the spring and the fall, cut back the flowering portion of the cane and wait until the rest of the cane flowers and fruits before cutting it down to the ground. New canes will sprout from the crown of the plant. I keep 5-7 feet of separation between my veggie beds and the raspberry bed, just because I don't want the canes to reach out and grab me while I'm weeding the veggies!