The Q&A Archives: Hortensia

Question: Good afternoon, How can I get my Hortensias ( this is what the plant is called in spanish ) to flower in a bluish or white color instead of the current light pink to violet. Thank you

Answer: Your Hortensia is Hydrangea. Soil acidity or alkalinity will change the color of hydrangea blooms. You can change the color by treating the soil. Pink and red hydrangeas often turn blue or purple in acid soils, and plants can be made red by liming the soil or applying superphosphate. For blue flowers, treat the soil with 2 Tablespoons of aluminum sulphate per plant, making 4-6 applications at 2 week intervals, starting in the early spring before the plants bloom. (Sulfur will acidify the soil. The desired pH range would be between 5.5 and 6.) For pink flowers, add lime to the soil, to raise the pH above 7.8). Test your soil to measure the pH range.