The Q&A Archives: carpenter bees in lawn

Question: my neighbor across the street has had carpenter bees for years and now they are in my yard. They are huge 2-3

Answer: Carpenter bees usually nest in soft wood so I wonder if you are dealing with ground nesting wasps or hornets? Whichever, here's an easy way to eradicate them: you just need to locate the entrance hole to their nest and then place a glass bowl over the top of the hole. Do this at night when the creatures are all at home and simply invert the bowl over the opening. In the daytime, when the wasps try to leave home, they'll be confused - and won't be able to exit. Wasps aren't smart enough to dig another exit hole so they'll buzz around the entrance and get stopped by the bowl. In about 10 days the colony will starve to death and you can remove the bowl. Then cover the hole up with soil, and your problem will be solved. Or you can use a product such as Orthene, according to label directions.