The Q&A Archives: River Birch tree

Question: We planted 3 birch trees about 2 years ago in full sun. 1 of them has grown but has no leaves, the other 2 do. How do I check it to see if it's dead? They are all planted together about a foot apart in a triangle. Thank you for your help Cathy

Kathy Anzalone

Answer: Sounds like a visually appealing planting so I hope your birches are okay. You can check to see if the branches are alive by scraping the bark from a branch with your fingernails or cutting one of the stems. Look for green material just beneath the bark. If there is green tissue, that branch is still alive. If it is brown beneath the bark, that part of the branch is dead. Keep scraping or cutting until you find green, live tissue. Once you do, prune off all the dead plant material. Pruning should encourage healthy new growth. Hope your trees are okay!