The Q&A Archives: Keeping bugs away

Question: What's the best solution for keeping spiders, ants, snakes, and other bugs out of my yard, and eventually out of my house?

Answer: Spiders, snakes, ants and other insects are actually beneficial in the garden. Flying insects help pollinate plants, ants carry away debris and feed on insects, spiders feed on other insects and snakes feed on beetles and other wildlife. There's a natural balance in the garden and if you just allow each of these critters to carry out their jobs, your garden will be healthier. They don't really want to end up in your house, it's just that they move in the wrong direction and somehow find themselves there. Rake debris away from the foundation of your home, sweep the sidewalk and porch regularly and shake out door mats once a week. These steps will disturb any insects or other pests making a home near your house and they will usually move into a quieter neighborhood further away from your doors and windows. Best wishes with your garden.