The Q&A Archives: Moon Flowers

Question: I have a moon flower seed pod. Please give me planting instructions and information about this plant.

Answer: Moon flower vines (Ipomoea Alba) are related to morning glories and although perennial in warm climates, are grown as annuals in cooler areas such as yours. These vines need full sun and a warm position to grow to their full potential. They grow quickly to sometimes as large as 20 feet and produce big beautiful fragrant white flowers which open in the evening and close the next morning.

The individual seeds are large and have a very hard seed coat. They need to be nicked lightly (I use a razor knife but be careful) or rubbed with sandpaper, then soaked overnight in warm water before planting; they also require warm soil to germinate. Some gardeners plant them directly outside in the garden in late spring when the soil is warmed, others start them in pots and then transplant them outside.

Enjoy your moonflower!