The Q&A Archives: Pumpkin Blossoms

Question: This is the second year of trying to grow pumpkins. We are not interested in growing monster pumpkins, but rather any pumpkin would do. The first year they got about 3 feet long before a white fungus or something appeared on the leaves and within a week they were dead. This year they are at about the same stage on July 25th with no pumpkins yet. I was going to hand pollinate, but have a question with the flowers. They all seem to have a little round portion behind the flower and are almost all coming from near the base of the plant. Do you have any suggestions as to better figure out which is which or lead me to a link that has a picture of both?

Answer: Keep in mind that the first flowers will be male to assure a good ratio for pollination, so if they all look the same so far then odds are pretty good that they are all male. Female flowers should follow soon. Here is a really good comparison photograph of gourd flowers; they are in the same family so the principle is the same:

Good luck with your pumpkins!