The Q&A Archives: Earthworms In Potted Plant

Question: As I was repotting my red-margined dracaena, 6 1.5 foot high shoots in a 12 inch pot. I noticed several earthworms in the pot. 2 were approx. 5" long and and there were other smaller ones too. I bought the plant from a garden shop about 6 weeks ago and the plant seems very happy. There doesn't seem to be any distress in the plants. Should I be concerned about the worms? Any advice would help.

Answer: The earthworms shouldn't cause a problem for your dracaena. Plants from nurseries are often grown outdoors, or soil from the ground is mixed in with potting soil - so if you're wondering where the worms came from, that's probably the answer. I'd have a tendency to release the worms so they can multiply and enrich the soil outdoors. Otherwise they could perish - or worse; if they become too prolific in your container of soil, they'll start feeding on one another!