The Q&A Archives: asparagus fern

Question: I have had asparagus fern since last year and they look great in the summer in hanging baskets. Taking them in is a bit of a problem as I don't have the space where they would receive proper light. Any suggestions would be helpful. I was also wondering if I kept them in my garage would they stay dormant until next spring without light like I have found some other plants to do? How is it best to transplant them also as I am not familiar with the type of plant they
are? Thank you

Answer: I'm afraid your asparagus fern won't just sit in the garage over the winter months. They need light, warmth, and fertilizer if you want them to live year around. You can upot your plants and divide them, taking only a small portion to keep indoors and grow until next spring. The roots are thick and sometimes bulbous but you should be able to simply slice through the plant to divide it. Make sure that each division has some roots and some green stems attached and pot each division up in regular potting soil. Asparagus ferns are relatively easy to divide and to grow so you shouldn't have any problems with it. Anything you don't have room for can be passed along to gardening friends. Good luck with your asparagus ferns!