The Q&A Archives: Sego Palm

Question: I have a large Sego palm in a very large pot. The fronds are turning yellow. I put some iron granulues in the soil, which usually does the trick but this time the plant still has some yellow in the fronds. Any suggestions to get them all green again?

Answer: Yellowing fronds can indicate sunscald, especially if your sago has been protected from direct sunshine and then suddenly receives it. It is normal for the oldest, lowest fronds to eventually die off so if that's what is happening, it's normal. Aside from a need for food or iron, there may be insect activity on the undersides of the leaves. Carefully check for scale insects or mealy bugs. If you find any, dab them individually with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will dehydrate the pests and kill them off. Good luck with your sago!