The Q&A Archives: Bugs On Trees and Shrubs

Question: Working in our flower garden over the weekend I noticed that the majority of my trees, bushes, shrubs had these ugly "bumps" that formed in clusters on the leaves. Not sure how to describe - like little indentations in the leaves - some of the leaves were dying and I cut them off. What can I do? Spray? What is it?

Answer: Before we can suggest what to do about it (if any thing), we need to know for sure what you are seeing on your plants. Unfortunately, working from your description I can't diagnose the problem -- it could be anything from old hail damage (ugly but harmless) to a disease (some are treatable, some are not) to galls or scale insects. You might wish to take some samples to your local County Extension office for a postitive identification and suggested control, if any. Their telephone number is 825-0900. I hope it's nothing serious.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Char and is called "'Diamond Head' Sunrise"