The Q&A Archives: lawn

Question: Hi, I live in Chicago, IL. I have a beautiful Kentucky Blue Grass lawn I am meticulous about caring for. I recently noticed a lot of

Answer: I don't honestly know what the weed might be. Without being able to see it, I'd only be guessing. There is a weed that looks a little like Kentucky Blue. It's called knotgrass (Paspalum distichum) and it's hard to distinguish until it grows larger than your bluegrass. Typically, crabgrass sends out long stolons and creeps below the turfgrass until it chokes it out. I'd suggest you either take a sample of the weed to your local extension office for help with identification, or do some research on the web where you can pull up photos of both of the weeds. Once you know what you're dealing with, finding a control should be easy. Good luck with your lawn.