The Q&A Archives: Care of Passion Flower Indoors

Question: I have a Passiflora caerulea outside on my patio. This fall/winter I would like to bring it in as a house plant. I would like some info on how to do that - pruning, water, light, etc. indoors. Will it flower indoors?

Answer: You can indeed grow Passiflora caerulea as a houseplant, if it has a large pot near a consistently sunny window. If you're just bringing it in for the winter, and intend to take it back outside in summer, allow it a period of rest, and push it to flower.

Gradually introduce it to its indoor home (the reverse of hardening off plants to the outdoors in spring), since plants grown outdoors do need to adjust to the air/humidity changes. Since it is tropical, it enjoys winter temperatures no lower than 55-60F at night, and temps about 10 degrees warmer during the day. High humidity and good air circulation also favor its performance. Keep soil dryer and do not fertilize during the winter. When spring rolls back around you can increase watering and resume fertilizing, but gradually reintroduce it to the outside so to avoid the shock of the Minnesota spring. Enjoy!