The Q&A Archives: potted plants

Question: Hi. I live in Central Florida and want to add some color to my front porch. We get morning sun then shade throughout the day. Can you please recomend some hardy flowers/shrubs I can pot that are also deer resistant. Any combo suggestion would be great as well. Thank you.

Answer: Some great perennials for part sun include Bloodleaf (Iresine herbstii 'Brilliantissima'), Crossandra 'Orange Marmalade' (Crossandra infundibuliformis), Devil's Backbone (Pedilanthus tithmalioides variegata), Dragon's Breath (Hemigraphis rependa), Golden Shrimp Plant (Pachystachys lutea), Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum 'variegata'), Persian Shield (Strobilanthus dyerianus), Red Flame Ivy (Hemigraphis alternata), and Sanchezia (Sanchezia nobilis).

As for container combinations, start with a container 16 inches or more in diameter and about 1 cubic ft (5-6 gallons) of potting soil plus 1 ounce of Osmocote 3-4 month time release fertilizer. Plant a THRILLER, a FILLER and a SPILLER type plants where the colors work well together. Water as needed and place in the proper light exposure and enjoy.

For instance, use Persian Shield as a 'THRILLER' in combination with shade tolerant plants like Jewels of Opar, Red Flame Ivy, Impatiens and Begonias. Or, use Crossandra Orange Marmlade as a 'FILLER' component in a complimentary container design with flowers that are in the blue shades. Go Gators!

Hope this information is helpful.