The Q&A Archives: starting a star jasmine on a trellis

Question: I am growing a jasmine plant. How do I train/get it to start growing up on a trellis? Also, do I push some of the branches through the open spaces of the trellis? I have no clue. Ive been stomped since around May and my jasmine isn't growing like it should up the trellis. Please help.

Answer: As your jasmine's stems begin to elongate you can gently coax them through the openings in the trellis and you may have to tie them until they begin to twine on their own. You can also encourage more growth by pinching out the very tip of the stem. Wherever you pinch, two new shoots will develop. It takes some time for a new plant to become established and to begin to put on new growth. As long as it is getting the sunshine and moisture it requires, it will send out new growth so you might only need to be a little more patient with your plant. Try pinching out the very tips of the stems. I think you'll see a big improvement.