The Q&A Archives: crocuses

Question: I planted over 100 new crocuses last fall which I have done for a number of years. I was really looking forward to seeing their blooms in the spring but almost none of them showed up. I suspect maybe the squirrels got to them. Any suggestions as to what I should do to prevent their disappearance again sine I want to plant more of them this year? Thanks.

Answer: How annoying to have squirrels raid your crocus patch! Sometimes the only way to deter them is to plant as usual and then lay chicken wire over the planting bed. This will keep the squirrels from digging and your crocus can either grow up through the holes in the chicken wire, or you can remove the chicken wire just as the crocus begin to sprout. Hope this helps!