The Q&A Archives: Prep arborvitaes for the WI winter

Question: Besides watering, is there anything I can do for my Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' Emerald Green Arborvitaes
to keep them from drying out? Someone told me there was some type of spray that I could put on and it would protect them from drying out in the hard strong Wisconsin winter wind?

Answer: There is an Anti-Transpirant called Wilt-Pruf that many gardeners in your region use to prevent windburn on evergreens - both broadleaf and needled evergreens. If you decide to use a product such as this, it is important to wait until the plants have completely hardened off, usually the first part of December. You may spray Wilt-Pruf anytime as long as the spray does not freeze on the foliage while applying and for
a couple of hours of drying time afterwards. If there is moisture in the foliage and a deep freeze should occur, that moisture in the plant cells can freeze and burst the cells causing damage to the plants. The product label will have more details. Best wishes with your arborvitaes.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"