The Q&A Archives: Fruit Trees

Question: Hi
I am seriously thinging about planting fruit trees on our property;

Am looking out for assistanse in Varieties of Trees along with Advise on when and how to plant these trees.

Thank You in Advance
I am a lamb in the woods

Tom Kennedy

Answer: Apple trees grow very well in MA. You'll need at least two different cultivars to provide cross pollination for good fruit set. Here's a publication that will help you decide which types of apples to grow. Not only does the publication list the varieties that grow well in your region, it also suggests the best combination of varieties:

Apple trees need lots of sunshine, adequate water and should be pruned regularly. Since you're new to fruit tree growing, you might want to check with your local cooperative extension office for any publications they might have. Look in the phone book under County Offices.

When you plant your new trees, it is recommended that the planting hole be dug no deeper than the rootball as measured from the trunk flare to the bottom of the ball. Research shows that the fibrous or absorbing roots of most woody ornamentals are usually found within the top 6 to 12 inches of soil, and since root development often extends beyond the canopy or dripline, it is recommended that the planting area be loosened and aerated at least three to five times the diameter of the rootball.

Best wishes with your new project!