The Q&A Archives: Bougainvillia

Question: My Bougainvillia plant is getting leggy, what is the best way and time to prune. Thanks.

Answer: Bougainvilleas typically bloom on about a 6 week cycle. They grow, flower, then rest. Pruning immediately after the flowers fade will encourage new flowering growth in about 4 weeks. Bougainvilleas will take almost any amount of pruning but I try not to take off more than one third of the live growth in any pruning session. You can prune it back a little or a lot as long as you don't remove more than a third of the plant. In general, prune after the flowers fade - or prune it back now and expect new flowering stems to be developed within the next few weeks for flowering in late September or early October. Enjoy!