The Q&A Archives: NO BLOOMS

Question: about 3 years ago I planted 2 really nice pampas grass plants. from the beginning one has been putting on beautiful blooms the other has failed to do so it does not even put the bloom buds on other than that it is a beautiful plant nice and full and lovely what can possibly be the problem they are fertilized and watered and one blooms and one does not it is a big white variety please help thank yo

Answer: Adequate sunshine and plant maturity are about the only requirements for pampas grass. They do best in lean soils with no supplemental fertilizer so it might be that the nitrogen they are getting from your fertilizer applications is encouraging growth but at the expense of flowers. Withhold fertilizer, water deeply once each week and make sure your plants are getting all day sunshine. They should be old enough to bloom and I expect they will by next spring. Good luck with your pampas grass!